Chinese Cucumber Quick Pickles
These cooling pickles are a pleasant pick me up. As the name suggests, they have a Chinese flair through the inclusion of sesame and pepper.
2 small Japanese or Kirby cucumbers, sliced
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 scant teaspoon sake
1 scant teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon sesame oil (or hot sesame oil)
1. Bring a small pot of water to a boil.
2. Blanche (boil) the cucumbers – roughly 5-10 seconds. Quickly remove the cucumbers and run under cold water immediately.
3. Toss the cucumbers with the salt and chill in the refrigerator.
4. Combine soy sauce, sake, sugar, and sesame oil in a small bowl. Chill in refrigerator.
5. Once the sauce has chilled, squeeze out some of the moisture from the cucumbers with a paper towel and add them to the sauce. Mix well and allow the flavors to absorb for at least 30 minutes. Serve and enjoy!